Yes, it is possible to log into your America Online account using the
network connection available through the WCNet, but you will need the
following in order to do so:
America Online for Windows users:
- America Online for Windows version 1.5 or higher
- WINSOCK.DLL version 1.1 or higher
- A direct Internet connection via TCP/IP, or,
- A SLIP or PPP connection (if you are using a SLIP or PPP, you will need
a program such as Trumpet Winsock, which you can download from our file
libraries. Use the keyword FILESEARCH, then "trumpet winsock" as your
search word. You can also use the Windows 95 Dial-up protocol).
America Online for Macintosh users:
- America Online for Macintosh version 2.5.1 or higher
- A direct Internet connection via TCP/IP
If you have a connection to the Internet already, you can use FTP to
transfer the AOL for Windows or AOL for Mac client software that will allow
you to log into AOL from the Internet. To get these files, FTP to
This site also contains README files which explain how to install and use
the software so that you can access America Online via your WCNet Internet
connection. Be sure to transfer those files as well as the client software
You can also obtain this software by calling AOL Member Services department
Using TCP/IP with AOL's software requires that you have established a
connection to the Internet prior to using your AOL software. Many business
networks and college networks support this feature, as do most Internet
Service Providers (ISPs. WCIC is an Internet Service Provider).
How setup America Online for use via TCP/IP
America Online for Windows versions 3.0 and 2.5
- The Winsock.dll file included with the aol software is incompatable with other winsock software. Use the windows explorer and browse to the aol directory. (e. g. c:\aol30) look for a directory called winsock. In this directory you will find a file named winsock.dll. Rename the file winsock.aol. copy c:/windows/system/winsock.dll to the current directory. This will ensure that the aol software will use the appropriate winsock.dll.
- From the Sign On & Setup screen select SETUP and then EDIT LOCATION.
- Select TCP/IP in the NETWORK box.
- Select SAVE and then OK
- Sign on.
America Online for Macintosh version 3.0
- From the Sign On & Setup screen select SETUP.
- Select TCP in the CONNECT METHOD box.
- Click SAVE.
- Click SIGN ON
Older Versions of America Online
America Online for Windows versions 2.0 and 1.5
- From the Sign On screen select SETUP then SETUP MODEM.
- Select TCP/IP as the modem type then select OK and OK again.
- Sign on.
America Online for Macintosh versions 2.7, 2.6, and 2.5
- 1.) From the Sign On screen, select TCP CONNECTION in the LOCALITY BOX.
- 2.) Sign on.